Should I choose a tour or a self-guided trip? Many suggestions, how to figure it out? If you are going to Vologda, be sure to visit the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery.
How can you get there:
- It is possible with a tour, by yourself by bus or by car.
- On your own. It only takes one day. In the evening you will return to Vologda, and from there by night train flight to Moscow or St. Petersburg.
- You can also see it in transit. Just plan your route in advance.
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is an ancient building with its history. Saint Cyril, because of the turmoil in the Simonov Monastery, retired from the people. Then a vision came to him. The Most Holy Theotokos ordered to go to the northern regions, to establish the monastery. Together with Saint Therapont they laid the foundations of the monastery. Gradually, it grew, reaching its present size. Located on the shore of Siverskoye Lake, which is more than 6 km long.
In Soviet times, the monastery was dispersed and a museum-reserve was opened in it.
Currently, 5 monks live here. And the museum continues to receive tourists.
What is included in the church complex:
- The monastery is surrounded by a high wall with 10 towers to protect it from attacks. Inside the wall, you can go to 8 churches, where museum exhibits are located.
- We pass through the Holy gates. The ticket office is immediately located, where you can buy tickets to the museum or to the excursion.
- In the center of a large well-kept courtyard, there is a small windmill, behind a wooden church. Pay attention to it, it is very ancient.
- On the territory of the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery there are Ivanovsky and Uspensky monastic complexes. 5 monks live in Ivanovsky.
- The Ostrog fortress was destroyed.
- The Church of John the Baptist (1531) rises on a small hill.
- Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh.
- Small hospital ward.
Behind the walls are located:
- Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God.
- Nearby is the Church of St. Cyril of Belozersky.
- Church of the Archangel Gabriel.
- Church of the Introduction to the Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos.
The church complex is huge, you can list endlessly, many epics and stories are associated with it. Better to come and see it with your own eyes.
Not far from the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is the Feropontov Monastery. It is decorated with frescoes by Dionysius (1502). Has a rich history. Patriarch Nikon, Vasily 2 the Dark, and many others were imprisoned here.